The Department was established in 1985, after the Faculty of Agricultural Engineering began to take in undergraduate students for the Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) programme in 1984. Since then the Department has progressed tremendously in the three core services: teaching, research and professional services. The programme had been accredited by the accreditation body throughout. Throughout the years, the programme has been reviewed once in every five-year period, to update the contents to keep up with the development in the civil engineering industry both nationally and internationally. For the current study scheme 2016-2020, three Program Educational Objectives (PEO) has been designed to produce engineers who are:
- Knowledgeable and competent in the field of civil engineering, and have the appropriate skills and attitude to work in the industry.
- Creative and innovative, and also sensitive and responsible to the society, cultures and environment.
- Capable to work in advanced design and development at national and international levels.
To support the achievement of the three PEO above, 14 Program Outcome (PO) encompass attributes that are expected of students upon completion of their academic programme have been set. There are:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Identify, formulate, research literature and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
- Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design systems, components or processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Design and conduct experiment.
- Investigate complex problems using research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of information to provide valid conclusions.
- Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools, including prediction and modeling, to complex engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations.
- Apply reasoning informed by contextual knowledge to access societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional engineering practice.
- Understand the impact of professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental context and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development.
- Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of engineering practice.
- Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to comprehend and write effective report and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multi-disciplinary setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understand of engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Identify basics and opportunities in entrepreneurship related to engineering.
- Recognise the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
A lot has been achieved so far, but we will strive for more in future, for the benefit of the country and society. I invite you to look at what we have in the Department, with the hope that you will find something that meets your requirement or need. Should you need more information, please feel free to contact any relevant member of the Department. We also welcome contribution in ideas or other forms that may help us to provide better service to our stakeholders. I especially invite our alumni to give feedbacks to us, either when requested, or at any time. Your opinion is very much appreciated as it will help us to continually improve our deliveries.
Assoc. Prof. Ir. Dr. Raizal Saifulnaz Muhammad Rashid
Department of Civil Engineering.
Updated:: 09/11/2018 [azzlia]